Tuesday, October 26, 2010

First Meditation

This evening was my first meditation class.  I managed to sit for 22 minutes!  I found the staying still to be fairly easy, as I am used to staying still for long hours being tattooed.  My thoughts wander all over the place, though, and I wasn't really sure what was meant by returning my mind into this center of energy below and behind the belly button.  Was I supposed to focus on the sensation there?  Was I supposed to think of my mind as coming from that space and not up in my head where I am used to it residing?  I thought a lot about that and caught myself in those thoughts, and eventually noticed that my posture was very tight in my hips.  I relaxed and everything settled lower.  I felt calmer.  I kept thinking about whether or not to open my eyes, but found that when they were open I seemed to think more, and found closing my eyes was easier for me to have quieter thoughts.  Maybe one day I will be able to practice with my eyes open and still be very calm, I don't know.

For a first experience, I thought it was good.  I can see how regular practice would be difficult and sometimes not as good.  But I think I would like to try it.  I am hungry for a practice that will help my life gain some clarity and focus.  For now, a biweekly class and setting aside some time each day for my own try at meditation feels like a nice start.  Let's see where it takes me.

No comments: